Wednesday 11 May 2016

The Combustion conference, Surface pro 3

There was a conference on Combustion in the university, my professor Dr. Hickey was one of the organizing member. So obviously, I am going to be the assistant / volunteer for the conference. The conference was on different topics but very related to the Combustion, Some even closely related to me on the Gas Turbine thermo-acoustic oscillations.
Some important points that I observed in regard to presenting in the conference is
1) Following the time, there were some presentations which were till the end of allocated time hampering the questions session so that he wasn't able to get a good opinion on his research. Though there might have been discussions in the break but, who knows..
2) The questions posed by the plenary going to be tough, some times there would be strong opposition if there was no sufficient proof to claim your conclusion. So be prepared.
3) The less no. of slides the better and make sure to explain it at a resonable pace.

The first day went ok, no complaints/ mismanagement. I was hardly able to understand any presentation. As everything said was so complex and they're competing with the clock to provide as much information as they can within the time. Among all presentations, the presentation on Gas Turbine thermo-acoustic oscillations was a bit understandable but again too much information in less time.


By the way, got a new(old) Surface pro 3 which I actively bidded for some 3-4 hours and won the auction @600 CAD$,  it is a used one though; but looks like it hasn't been used at all. (Absolutely no scratches anywhere) The seller seemed so honest. A new Surface pro 3 (i5, 128 GB)  with the typecover (keyboard), and a surface pen, would cost around 1000$



The surface pro 3 is very handy to take notes. The battery is lasting good 6-7 hours..(strictly depending on my usage) I should've bought this in my undergrad to take notes. But, you know the indian budget won't permit me to buy.. Though this was an expensive purchase for me (@600 CAD$, this is slightly less than my laptop. But, in productivity terms it beats any other device.





Being a avid reader (of textbooks, and other reference material) this surface pro 3 is very essential for me, if I don't want to carry bulky books or lots of paper every where I go.

Though, it was a bit risky to take the decision to buy the surface as the seller striclty said ''no returns accepted''. Seems luck is my favour. (These days, I am getting very lucky..!!) Though 600 CAD$ was a dent to my budget. I am saving enough to afford to buy because of this 240$ sublet in which I am living. Thanks to Skyler Freeman (the student who is the tenant of this house).




No comments:

Post a Comment